maanantai 19. maaliskuuta 2012

Swoosh, Just Do It!

When thinking about Nike as a brand, in my opinion the whole idea, which it is built upon, is brilliant. Firstly, the name Nike has its roots in Greek mythology since Nike was goddess who personified victory (note: the message seems to be pretty clear - athletes want to be victorious and with the help of Nike's products everyone is able to reach one's goals). If you look carefully enough the wings of Nike's statue, you might recognise a familiar shape. Yep, it is the Nike's logo, also known as ”swoosh”. Believe it or not, the designer of the logo, Carolyn Davidson, charged only 35 USD for her design. Little did she know that the logo would become one of the most recognisable logos in the world!

When kept in mind that this post is a part of our course ”Management of Brands”, I will next analyse Nike's brand more in detail. Firstly, I will take a look at awarenessrecall and recognition. Secondly, I will consider Nike's brand image and its dimensions – strength, favourability and uniqueness. Lastly, I will list the associations that will pop up into my mind when I think of Nike.

If you had to name only one sport brand, what would it be? For me it would undoubtedly be Nike. For someone else it might be Reebok. Someone might say Puma or Adidas with its three stripes. Few might mention brands like David but I assume that those persons belong to the minority. As a conclusion I would say Nike's recall among consumers is high. Moreover, I claim that recognition of Nike is strong as well. The mere logo (whatever colour it might be) speaks for itself and as a matter of fact it has become so independent that you don't even need the word ”Nike” anymore. Combining these two things - that's what I call high awareness of the brand. All in all, the fact is that Nike is everywhere and that's why both its recall and recognition are extreme.


Nike's brand image is valued to a great extent. It is one of the strongest sports brands according to Forbes' World's Top Sports Brands (2010). According to Brandirectory, Nike's current brand value is $18,619m (http://brandirectory.com/profile/nike). Favourability among consumers is increasing because revenue has gone up by 10% to 20,682 million USD in 2011 compared to the year before when the revenue was 19,014 million USD (Nike Annual Report 2011). The value proposition that Nike offers for consumers can be seen unique. Nike's mission is ”To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.” and it continues: ”*If you have a body, you are an athlete” So everyone can be an athlete if one just decides to become one. In consumers' minds wearing Nike sportswear associates with one's ability to reach the goals one has set with the help of Nike.

Design: I love the design of Nike's sportswear and especially the bright colours always give me some extra energy to go beyond my limits.
Just Do It: You cannot actually give up when it says in your top ”Just Do It”! That slogan is like a personal trainer who will make you reach your goals with ”fake it until you make it” -attitude.

Quality: I have owned sportswear from all of the well-known brands like Adidas, Puma, Reebok and David but none of them beats Nike in quality. You can use and wash the clothes over and over again and they are still like brandnew

Champion: The brand of winners, achievers, people who don't lack of self-confidence and determination. That's is exactly what I want to be. When training I push myself to the limit and each time I try to win myself, improve my strength and durability in order to achieve my ultimate goal – to live a healthier and happier life.



What are You making yourself?


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti